Dental implantation is a popular and effective procedure that involves placing titanium implants in the shape of a screw to strengthen artificial teeth that are used to replace missing or damaged teeth. Implants look and work almost like natural teeth. Our team of dentists provide best dental implants in Udaipur.
Dental implant procedure
The dental implant surgery procedure depends on two factors: the type of implant as well as the condition of the patient’s jawbone. Depending on these two crucial elements, dental implant in India can be of different types. Regardless of the procedure, it provides strong support for the artificial teeth. The process allows the bone to heal slowly but tightly around the dental implant and this healing process takes time, sometimes several months.
How to prepare?
It’s not like you wake up in the morning, make a dentist appointment, visit the clinic, and have dental implant surgery. Although minimally invasive, a dental implant is like any other surgical procedure. This means that you need to prepare for the operation before going through the process.
The planning process usually involves different types of examinations like clinical and 3D radiological examination. The dental implant may involve more than one surgical procedure, if necessary and, therefore, patients must go through a complete evaluation as part of the preparatory process. If any other small procedures like root canal treatments, tooth colored fillings or tooth cleaning is required preferably completed prior to dental implant treatment.
Preparation for surgery includes the following:
- Thorough dental examination : It is highly likely that the dentist will suggest dental x-rays and 3D images. In addition, the specialist will also get the models made from the patient’s teeth and jawbone.
- Review of medical history : As a patient, you must disclose your medical condition and any medications you are taking, including prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, and supplements. If you’ve had orthopedic implants or have certain heart problems, your surgeon will likely prescribe antibiotics before surgery, as a preventative measure against infection.
- Treatment plan : Since dental implant surgery is patient-specific, the dentist will establish a plan taking into account several factors, including the number of teeth to be replaced, the condition of the remaining teeth and the jawbone.
- Administered anesthesia: Anesthesia is always administered before the procedure so that the patient does not feel pain. Anesthesia options include local or general anesthesia. There is also a conscious sedation option (Laughing Gas Dentistry) which helps anxious and fearful patients remain calm and comfortable during treatment. Ask your dentist which option will work best for you.
- Other Instructions: The dental team will also give instructions on what to eat and drink before surgery, depending on the type of anesthesia that will be given. If you have general anesthesia or sedation, have a family member or friends take you home after the operation is done. You should rest for the rest of the day.
Different stages of dental implant surgery
Implant surgery is essentially an outpatient procedure performed in different stages while allowing healing time between procedures. The process has several steps, including the following:
- Removal of the damaged tooth
- Placement of a dental implant
- Bone growth and healing
- Positioning of the abutment
- Placement of artificial teeth
The whole process can take 3 to 4 months. However, it takes a good deal of time for the bones to heal and new bone to grow in the jawbone. Depending on the particularities of the patient, the type of material used or the specific surgical intervention performed, certain steps are sometimes combined.
After dental implant surgery
Whether your dental implant surgery is done in one or more stages, you can experience typical discomfort regardless of the type of surgery you have. The usual inconveniences are as follows:
- Slight Swelling of the gums and face
- Slight Pain at the dental implant site
- Slight Bruising of the gums and skin
- Minor bleeding
But all these conditions are very temporary and remains maximum for 48 hours. Later there is no pain and discomfort. Your dental surgeon and dental team can prescribe medication if you experience pain after surgery. If the problems are minor, the medication will give you relief and things will be better in a few days. However, if any of the above conditions get worse in the days following surgery, you should speak to your dental surgeon as soon as possible.
What to eat?
There are a few dos and don’ts after each step of implant surgery. For example, you will be asked to avoid eating hard foods that put pressure on the gums when chewing, as this will disrupt and delay the healing process. Surgeons typically use stitches that dissolve automatically over time. If they don’t, the surgeon will remove them.
Effects of dental implant surgery
Most dental implant surgeries are very successful, often having a success rate of over 99%. This means that there are cases of failure if the bone does not merge well with the titanium implant. Diabetes and Smoking are another reason for dental implant failure. If the bone doesn’t merge well with the implant, your doctor will remove it, cleanse the area, and try the same procedure later.
It is not uncommon for a dental implant to work until its last breath. But for that to happen, you need to follow some strict dental and health regimes:
- Maintain Good Oral Hygiene: Just like anything you do to keep your real teeth and gums clean, the same procedure should be followed for artificial teeth. There are specially designed brushes that can easily slip between the teeth. These will effectively clean the corners of your teeth, your gums and your metal posts.
- Visit your dentist regularly: It is important for each patient to prepare a dental check-up program to ensure that the dental implant is working properly. You should stick to your doctor’s guidelines for professional cleanings.
- Avoid Harmful Habits: Avoid chewing hard foods (for example, hard candy) as it will cause your crowns or natural teeth to break. Avoid taking caffeine or tobacco as it stains your teeth.
Choose Mumbai Dental Clinic for pleasing and easy dental implant solutions in Udaipur.
Dr. Siddharth Jain
He is the Soul of this dentistry practice. A proficient dentist and Implantologist, Dr. Siddharth comes with over 10 years of rich experience and niche skills in his field. His mission is to provide comprehensive dental services to all the patients in an environment that is safe, reassuringly pleasant and comfortable. Dr. Jain’s expertise goes beyond routine cases, into Implantologist, Laser surgeries, etc. He believes in constantly upgrading his skills and regularly attends conferences and workshops to keep abreast with the latest technology. He is Member Of IDA, DCI, ISOI and many more renowned associations of dentistry.
Book an appointment today with us :